In common with some other water companies Yorkshire Water have introduced a hosepipe ban, which started on 26th August 2022.
The Yorkshire Water website says...
To ensure we’re able to apply for drought permits this winter, a hosepipe ban is now in place which means the following activities are prohibited:
- Watering a garden using a hosepipe
- Cleaning a private motor-vehicle using a hosepipe
- Watering plants on domestic or other non-commercial premises using a hosepipe
- Cleaning a private leisure boat using a hosepipe
- Filling or maintaining a domestic swimming or paddling pool
- Drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use
- Filling or maintaining a domestic pond using a hosepipe
- Filling or maintaining an ornamental fountain
- Cleaning walls, or windows, of domestic premises using a hosepipe
- Cleaning paths or patios using a hosepipe
- Cleaning other artificial outdoor surfaces using a hosepipe
Customers can still carry out these activities if they use water from a bucket or watering can; or use water that is not sourced from the mains such as grey water, rainwater from a water butt through a hosepipe, or private boreholes for example.
We thought some of the wording was a bit confusing so we wrote to them for clarification.
We asked, "As a jet washing business, can we use a customer's water supply or a standpipe attached to a hydrant during the hosepipe ban?"
Their reply is copied below.
Our Ref: LNSS-CHFH243
Good Afternoon Mr Driver, and thank you for your email
You can use customers' hosepipes and sprinklers where it is directly related to your day-to-day business excluding the watering of domestic gardens. We would however encourage the use of low water usage technology, such as a low water use pressure washer wherever possible.
Please only use standpipes where absolutely necessary. You can only use specific hydrants at strategic points according to your licence. You must use the hydrants you have been given permission to use to reduce the effect of pressure changes on the network. Make sure your licence is up-to-date and ensure fittings are working properly and not wasting water.
Customer Relationship Manager
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House, Halifax Road, Bradford, BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682
Photo Attribution. Kind thanks to nick@ of Flickr for the photograph which is redistributed under a Creative Commons licence.